Student Visa Requirements in the UK
Everything you need to know about UK Visas
The visa you need will depend on your age and the type of study you want to do. An overview of study visa types and application requirements is included below, but for more information you should visit the Gov.UK website
To be eligible for a Tier 4 student visa, you must:
- Have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
- Be able to speak, read, write and understand English
- Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.
Applying for your visa online
You must apply for your student visa application online using the British Government’s official Gov.UK website (unless you are applying from North Korea, in which case you can use a hardcopy form).
You can apply up to three months before your intended date of travel to the UK. Your application date is the date when your application fee is paid.
When applying for your Tier 4 visa, you will generally need:
- A current passport or other valid travel documentation
- Evidence of funds to provide your living expenses for the duration of your course
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and documents used to obtain CAS
- Passport-sized colour photograph
- Tuberculosis screening (if required)
- Assessment documentation
- Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate (if required)
Additional documents may also be needed if you are:
- Not a citizen of the country you are applying from
- Under 18 years of age
- Have family (dependents)
TIER 4 STUDENT VISA (PBS)
To register for Tier 4 student visas, students must have savings for a number of living expenses for one academic year (9 months) and tuition fees for one academic year that have not been paid. The minimum standard of living outside London is £ 1015 per month. Meanwhile, in London for £ 1265 per month.
Tier 4 (General) Student visa is for the student coming to the United Kingdom for their higher education & this category falls under the POINT BASED SYSTEM. Students need to obtain 30 points for CAS & 10 points for Funds Maintenance to obtain a study visa.
In addition to the application for Student Visa, students must undergo a TB Screening medical test to detect tuberculosis by taking chest X-Ray. And also there is Credibility Check Interview at the time of applying for the visa. UK also requires health insurance (National Health Service) of GBP 150 per year.
After getting the Full Acceptance Letter from the institution, students can apply for student visas which can only be administered by a competent education consultant. After completing the required visa documents, visa applicants are required to be fingerprinted and photographed directly at the British embassy representative offices (VFS).
Once students get visas to come to the UK for more than six (6) months, they will receive an entry clearance in the form of vignette / sticker in their passport that is valid for 30 days from the date of departure. Furthermore, students will get a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) on arrival in the UK. BRP indicates that a student has the right to live, work, or study in the UK.